‘Future of the Future’ or ‘Flaming Bag’?
In this Disruptive Technologists’ Webinar, we chatted live with Esther Dyson, “the most influential woman in all the computer world” and Graham Morehead, Principal Research Scientist at AON on the Metaverse and its governance. As the founding chair of ICANN, Esther has thoughts about “how effectively decentralized governance *actually* works” and what that means to the future of the metaverse.
What is the thing ‘The Metaverse’?
The term ‘metaverse’ is everywhere these days. You hear it in news stories, see it in blog posts, and come across it on social media. But what is it? Is it just another fantasy? A concept from science fiction? Or is it something real that we can actually look forward to and may just change the way we live our lives?
The answer is, yes – it’s all those things. And it’s here already.
Wired’s Eric Ravenscraft says that talking about what “the metaverse” means is like having a discussion on the internet in the 1970s. No one could really know what it would look like and this was true because, while they knew it was coming, not every idea of how it would eventually turn out to become true.
The Metaverse – is it the future of future technology or will this be just another flaming bag of… well, you get the idea.
MEET THE PANELISTS
- Esther Dyson (@edyson on Twitter) is the executive founder of Wellville, a 10-year nonprofit project focused on helping small US communities increase equitable well-being – and serve as models for others. She is also a noted angel investor, focusing on IT/Internet, policy, health, logistics, insurance, space travel, and other interesting areas. Among many other roles, she served as founding chairman of ICANN, one of the first Internet governance organizations.
- Graham Morehead is the Principal Research Scientist at AON & Adjunct Professor at Gonzaga University. He has been on the cutting edge of technologies in a wide array of disciplines, from high-energy physics to complex adaptive systems and automatic translation.
To enter, email your name, company, and title to INFO@DISRUPTIVETECHNOLOGISTS.COM
- UPFLEX FREE PASSES FOR INTERNATIONAL OFFICE SPACE
- REBECCA COSTA FUTURIST BOOKS
- Microsoft Reactor #MSFTReactor
- Ramona Wright
- Esther Dyson
- Scott Moss
- Jeff Paul, Ziotag
- Greg King, RaiseUp